When it comes to buy something, there are criteria to reach affordable and effective devices. It is not different if you want to buy an oscilloscope. Cheap oscilloscope and quality oscilloscope are two important and demanded features for an oscilloscope user.
What is an oscilloscope? Oscilloscope is voltage measurement in a time depending phase. By using oscilloscopes, users can deetct troubles on the circuits, measure the frequency and voltage and much more measurements are available. Voltage measurement is crucial for an electronic device. If there is problem on the current energy in the circuit, it affects working performance on the circuits. That is the reason why oscilloscopes are significant for circuits and electronic devices. Engineers, electronics students and people who manage with electrics and circuits are benefited from oscilloscopes. Of course, their purposes and usage areas can be different from each other but this is also the first criteria for buying an oscilloscope. So, how to choose quality and cheap oscilloscope?
- Needs are important to buy an oscilloscope. Depending on the needs, your oscilloscopes feature change. Characteristics of your work or project include in this needs list because your work determines your needs. For example, if you are a student and you want to use an oscilloscope in a simple project, you do not need so many features on your oscilloscope. Fast, portability and performance are more effective for your studies, so you can choose USB oscilloscopes like MINIS. This can help you to gain both cheap oscilloscope and quality oscilloscope
- Sometimes your needs can meet by oscilloscopes but it is not enough. You need to increase your devices performance. In this point, if you can choose increasable and sustainable oscilloscopes in terms of input voltage range and performance, this device can help you to use it in a long period of time. It can determine a quality oscilloscope.
- In the technical features, there are two basic types of oscilloscopes; analog and digital. They are different in terms of working principles and features. Like, digital oscilloscopes have screen saving opportunity and easy usage chance. These are more preferable features. Also, nowadays there are few people who use analog oscilloscopes. So, if you look at cheap oscilloscope but if it should be quality oscilloscope at the same time, you can check type of oscilloscopes.
- Bandwidth measurement is also important to take accurate pictures from the data. Measurement of the maximum frequency of signal through the amplifier is called bandwith. If you choose an oscilloscope with a bandwith 5x than maximum frequency signal that you want to measure, you can decrease distortions on the waveforms because you face with some faults in your datas. Same range MHZ and Bandwith range brings attenuated and distorted waveform. It can be costly but in the data accuracy, it is also important detail.
- If you want to compare resolutions, you need to look at sample rate as a basic measurement since it determines that how many number of samples an oscilloscope can get per second. Recommendations show that 2x bigger sample rates than maximum frequency you want can help you to choose.
- Memory depth is also important feature for digital oscilloscopes. Digital oscilloscopes help you to capture and save your measurement picture in their memory. There is place to determine how much signal can be saved untill memory is full and this is called buffer memory. Also, the relation between memory and sample rate is important because their balance can give successful performance in your oscilloscopes. Sometimes memory limits sample rates although you have much more sample rate capacity. So, this balance also significant feature for your how to choose a quality oscilloscope and cheap oscilloscope
- Of course do not skip probes features and channels. Again it is also depend on your needs. If you do not need more than two channels enter, do not buy them because of their performance. 2 channels can give you input-output information whereas 4 or more channels can bring more comparison chance but again, these choices depend on your work. When you look at the probes, there is much more effect on bandwith because low-bandwith probe can decrease overall bandwith measure. 1:1 equality between bandwith and probe and 10:1 attenuated are recommended feature.
- Moreover, the input range should be considered and checked to if it is suitable for your voltage measurement.
- When you want to single-shot measurement on waveforms and measure repetitive waveforms, trigger can help you in your oscilloscope. Make sure that you checked the trigger options according to your work.
- Rise time for pulses and steps is important characteristic in digital oscilloscopes because the more accurate data measurements can be given by the faster rise time. 1/5x fastest rise time can be beneficial.
All these recommendations can help you to answer your how to choose a quality oscilloscope and cheap oscilloscope question. For much more information, you can visit specific features of oscilloscope types like analog, digital, USB format or handheld.